What does compliance have to do with ISO 9001?
The Cambridge English Dictionary defines Compliance as “the act of obeying an order, rule, or request” – adhering to an externally imposed requirement.
The very first section (section 1 – Scope) of ISO 9001:2015 requires organisations to meet applicable statutory and regulatory requirements ie – your company Quality Management System must follow the law.
Managing changes to legislation manually can be time-consuming and inefficient; nearly impossible if you consider that there are over 90,000 amendments per year.
So how does an organisation maintain compliance with legal requirements? How do they keep up to date? There are a number of ways but here are a few options:
SAI Global’s Lawlex Service
An SAI Global product helps organisations tackle this problem by offering an automated email alert service called Lawlex Premium Legislative Alerts.
The Lawlex Premium service provides users with:
An email alert service that notifies customers about new legislation, as well as changes to current legislation that they are tracking.
- The ability to set customised profiles according to each user’s requirements.
- Notification by email within 24 hours of publicly announced changes to legislation, or the introduction of new legislation.
- Plain English summaries of changes written by legally trained editors.
- Links through to official Government sources (i.e. Federal Register of Legislation, NSW Parliamentary Counsel, State Law Publisher)
Premium Research, which provides value-added information about the legislation, such as commencement information and a history of amendments.
- Authoritative and comprehensive; a reliable source of all current Australian law.
- Access to the history of amendments tables, commencement information, and gazette notice references.
- Access to second reading speeches, explanatory memoranda and historical versions of the legislation.
- View Bill progress from Introduction to Assent, with detailed Bill Alerts about the progress of a Bill through each and every stage.
Onboarding & Training
- New users will be contacted by the Client Support Manager to commence the on-boarding and training discussion.
- Regular online training is provided
- Code Connect – a tool that provides access to all the Codes of practice referenced in Australia.
- Lex Connect – Identifies any Australian Standard referenced in legislation.
Legislative & Regulatory Website Alerts
If the Lawlex subscription option isn’t for you then you can always subscribe to email alert services that are offered by most of the legislative and regulatory websites. This means they will issue the contact person with an alert email when there are updates or changes to legislation.
- https://www.legislation.gov.au/ (Federal Law)
- https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/ (QLD Law)
- https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/ (NSW Law)
- http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/ (VIC Law)
- https://www.legislation.tas.gov.au/ (TAS Law)
- https://www.legislation.sa.gov.au/index.aspx (SA Law)
- https://www.legislation.wa.gov.au/ (WA Law)
- https://legislation.nt.gov.au/ (NT Law)
Safety Codes of Practice
We have put together a list of Safety Codes of Practice applicable across the country, available by clicking HERE.
Contact Us Today
If you’d like more information on Management System Design, or to request a Quick Quote please use the form to the right and one of our ISO Consultants will contact you within one business day. Alternatively, you are welcome to contact us directly by emailing [email protected] or by calling:
- ISO Consultants Brisbane 07 3667 8280
- ISO Consultants Sydney 02 8315 7780
- ISO Consultants Melbourne 03 9034 3990
We look forward to hearing from you and answering any questions you may have.