Cheap ISO 9001 Certification – sounds great, doesn’t it!
Alas, however, much like anything, cheap ISO certification most likely means poor quality, and “the Bitterness of Poor Quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.” (Benjamin Franklin).
There is a range of risks when trying to achieve certification on the cheap:
- The ISO Management System does not fully conform with the clauses of the reference standards (eg ISO 9001, ISO 45001 or ISO 14001 etc). This can lead to Major Non-conformances at audit time, delayed certification and additional resource requirements to close out the non-conformances.
- The ISO Management System may not be aligned with the organisation’s processes. This often happens with badly designed management systems, when a company downloads a template, or when a system is “borrowed” that has been developed for another company. This is akin to trying to fit a square peg into a round hole – it is never going to work. In fact, it will most likely have the opposite effect and actually act like a handbrake on the organisation. The most likely effect though is the system is just not used, and the benefits of the framework and continual improvement model never appreciated.
- Timeframes to certification can be dragged out. When most companies decide to undertake certification to ISO 9001 Quality Management Systems or any of the other standards, it is fair to say that they would like, or need it done by a certain date. If you are attempting to develop the system internally then no doubt the resources allocated have other responsibilities and when these responsibilities take priority the outcome is a delayed ISO certification schedule.
- Process mapping may be done incorrectly or inefficiently. Documenting organisational processes including Risks, Inputs, Outputs and process inter-relationship takes time, and to be done correctly and to a level that will support and help achieve business growth requires a high level of engagement of an experienced consultant with key personnel to ensure ownership, a high degree of implementation.
- Cheap ISO Consultants often insist that you choose a specific certification body. Always make sure you obtain a number of quotes from different JAS-ANZ accredited Certification Bodies.
Whether you are attempting to develop the system internally or just looking to engage a cheap ISO 9001 Consultant, make sure that whoever is developing the system has a solid, demonstrated history of management system design, implementation, internal auditing, and certification.
Beware of things going cheap! Contact Us Today
If you’d like more information on ISO Management System Design, or to request a Quick Quote please use the form to the right and one of our consultants will contact you within one business day. Alternatively, you are welcome to contact us directly by phone or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to hearing from you and answering any questions you may have.
For more information on JAS-ANZ Click Here.